Friday, April 11, 2014

High Noon - Jerrod Niemann - Album Review


I've been talking a lot lately about artists who did great albums in the past years, but that their newest release wasn't up to the expectations. Well, that's really NOT the case with High Noon. From the maker of Only God Could Love You More and Shinin' On Me, Jerrod Niemann offers us an album that really  pushes the boundaries of country towards electro/pop. And it's well made. Really well made.

High Noon is a well crafted album that brings the listeners to a very polished subgenre that Jerrod Niemann likes to plays into, the very electronic, pop and even rock country segment. If you want to position him, I'd say imagine Kenny Chesney mixed with Eric Church with more electronic. Can't picture it? Me neither, so give a listen to the album to know what I'm talking about.

The lyrics are in general average, there is really nothing absolutely terrible about them, but it's not the main focus of Jerrod Niemann. They could be improved in my opinion, but the goal of this album was to experiment on an instrumental and musical standpoint, and it's a success to me. It doesn't push the boundaries too far, it's diverse, and it's consistent throughout the album.

TLDR: This album really grew on me, and I really enjoyed it. Jerrod Niemann succeeds at building his own niche, offering a well crafted and original album to his listeners.

8.5/10

Space
This is a pretty good intro song, and it really grew on me as the number of replays of this album increased. This is a good downtempo song, and the lyrics are pretty good, even though if they get repetitive. -- 8.5/10

Buzz Back Girl
I really like this song, it's upbeat, it's fun, and the lyrics aren't terrible either. There's not much more to say, it's not going on the radio, but it's not a filler song either. You'll enjoy it. -- 8/10

Drink to That All Night


From discussing with people about this song, it's either a miss or a hit. Either people like it a lot or hate it. It really started growing on me as I heard it. I can't say it's my favourite song, I find too electronic to my taste, but it's definitely different. That being said, the lyrics are terrible. -- 8.5/10

I Can't Give In Anymore
That is a really well-written song, and does a very good job at being a slow and kind of sad song. It's not boring, very well to the contrary, as the singing is great and the steel guitar adds a deeply country aspect to the song. -- 8/10

We Know How To Rock
This song could really hit the radio, because it's a good summer song. I'd expect to see it in July/August. Moreover, the instrumental arrangement in there is really impressive and well produced. The lyrics aren't that great though. -- 8/10

Come On, Come On
I really like this song, it's entertaining and very catchy. It's upbeat and will make you in a good mood, a bit similarly to Shinin' On Me in his previous album. It would make for an awesome driving around song. -- 9/10

Lucky #7
That's just another pretty good song on the album, but it has nothing really special about it. The lyrics are decent, it's quite upbeat, but not catchy, at least to me. -- 7.5/10

Donkey
Jerrod Niemann really experimented a lot on this album, and Donkey is one of those experimental songs. It's rock, but with a lot of electronic twists in it. I find it pretty successful, it has a grunge aspect to it that I quite liked. It's a very original song, and definitely adds diversity to the album. I only wish the lyrics were better though, it gets repetitive pretty quickly. -- 8/10

Day Drinkin'
After Donkey, Jerrod Niemannn wanted to bring his listeners back to more traditional country, and Day Drinkin' is a really good driving around song as well. It's entertaining, relaxing, makes for a good song to listen. That being said, the lyrics really have nothing particularly interesting to them. -- 7.5/10

The Real Thing
This is another more original song, with a big emphasis on the piano and the steel guitar. The country aspect was kept in my opinion, and the boundaries aren't pushed over the limit, but it's really different from what you generally hear in country. It's a pretty decent song overall. -- 7.5/10

Beach Baby
This is another pretty great summer song, and I wish more people knew about it. The lyrics aren't terrible either, which is surprising considering the goal of the song. You'll enjoy this song for sure. -- 8.5/10

Refill
One relaxing and downtempo song is always appreciated after quite a few very uptempo songs. The song becomes repetitive, and the lyrics aren't really good. Talking about drinking is really the go-to subject when you have nothing to talk about. -- 7/10

She's Fine (feat. Colt Ford)
If you don't know it already, I have a very strong intolerance to Colt Ford. In general, I can't stand any song he performs into. That being said, that song was pretty good. The rap lyrics are well integrated, as the song has a very deep electronic and rock aspect to it. I don't think this will ever hit the radio, but it's a solid concluding song to the album nonetheless. -- 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment