Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Rewind - Rascal Flatts - Album Review



While Rascal Flatts isn't quite renowned for their most recent singles, this group releases solid albums after solid albums, and have a fan base more loyal than a golden retriever. Like they say, don't fix what ain't broke!


The album starts pretty rock with Payback [8/10], which in my mind starts it on a decent note, with a song that doesn't quite fit with the kind of music we are generally expecting from Rascal Flatts. We then head towards Rewind [9/10], their first single which I found extremely good. The lyrics are great, the singing is stellar, and it's a total ear-worm.


The hidden diamond of this album in my opinion is the song following those two, being I Have Never Been To Memphis [9.5/10]. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this song will be playing on the radio at some point, because the singing is plainly exceptional, and the song very emotional. Plainly a genuinely great song.

DJ Tonight [7/10] is in my opinion a try-hard radio hit, but I think it will land on the radio, though doubt that it will chart well. It doesn't fit their style so well, the lyrics quite boring, and the music is unoriginal to say the least. I prefered by far Powerful Stuff [8.5/10], I thought it sounded better, and the LeVox's performance was better as well. It's plenty catchy as well.

Riot [7/10] is the exact type of song you've come to expect from a Rascal Flatts album, aiming directly at their core fans, being soccermoms and the like. It's a good song, nothing exceptional, though the singing is good, but lacks emotion in my mind. The guitar lick of Night of Our Lives [8/10] sounds quite similar Jolene by Dolly Parton. Besides that, the song is good enough, but a bit repetitive.

I Like The Sound Of That [7/10] is a very average song, the lyrics are decent enough, but there's nothing exceptional, and it's the same kind of song as Riot. I wasn't a big fan of Aftermath [6/10], I found it to be too cheesy and meaningless. Sometimes being overly poetic for the sake of it isn't all that great.

I'm On Fire [8.5/10] was one of my favourite songs of the album, I found it to be genuinely enjoyable and catchy. It's got a good rhythm, and I'd be surprised not to hear it on the radio in a couple of months. Life's A Song [8/10] is quite good as well, though a tad less, and feels less emotional overall. Some points feel also a bit messy musically.

I found myself loving the honky-tonk sound of Honeysuckle Lazy [8.5/10] quite a lot to be honest, and found it to be really catchy. It doesn't stick in your head the first time, but give it 1-2 other tries, and it sure will! The Mechanic [7.5/10] is a decent enough song to end the album on a pure Rascal Flatts note, with a love story, a slow and kind of cheesy feel to it.

TLDR: Overall, this album is really enjoyable to listen to, and quite relaxing, though there are some pretty good songs with a fast rhythm. There are numerous potential singles, and one of their best recent singing performance in I Have Never Been To Memphis. You guys should give it a try for sure, it's well worth the listen, and will make a morning/evening drive quite enjoyable. For better results, listen to it a couple of times, a bunch of songs become alive at the second or third listen.

8.5/10

PS: You can listen to every single song on the album on their Youtube Channel, so big props to Rascal Flatts for that. I won't put them all on this page otherwise it takes forever to load, but you can check them HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment